Carpets have been manufactured all over the globe for centuries. The manufacturers of carpets has changed over time and brough innovations in all the areas of this industry. Many more advancements have been occurred in terms of carpet-types and requirements based on the fiber and yarns used for its construction.
In today’s carpet manufacturing industries, polypropylene and acrylic fibers are used as a filament and long-staple. Acrylic fibers are mostly used due to their good resilience, soft handle and high light fastness.
- Carpet production includes several stages that involve preparation of yarn, preparation of loom, pre-inspection, weaving, mending/finishing, washing, final-inspection and finishing touches etc. Then Initial backing of tani or cotton threads, secondary backing that involves woolen/cotton threads or lachhi/theda, filler material that constitute calcium carbonate and adhesive material consist of styrene-butadiene latex. Additionally, some treatments are also required for few carpets which includes a curing process for oil repellence and water by applying FCs deposition, on the other hand for some kind of solvent soluble soil fluorinated produces finishing solutions for carpets and upholstery, and garments.
- Treatment processes that are fluorine-based are applied to regulate the surface features of carpets, textile, paper fibers or leather, to increase their hydrophobicity, to enhance their stain resistance, mechanical strength, or dyeing ability, to for a material that is free from wrinkles.
- The major treatment techniques that are recently in use are wet-process based, consist of pad-dry-cure approach among different other techniques. Another innovation has been in process and will be released soon that involves plasma procedure used to cure deposit polymers, etch on the substrate-surface .
- As a pile yarn – Wool is typically used in carpets that are hand-knotted due to its excellent properties. For example, durability, dyeability, stain resistance, flame resistance, static generation, insulation and biodegradability. This woolen pile yarns normally made up of twisted tufts which are generally treated with heat to maintain the overall carpet-structure. Moreover to bring some innovation in the traditional manual manufacturing of carpets that are hand-tufted which have long production cycle and low efficiency, a CAM technology has been introduced in hand-tufted carpet industries for the process of tufting.
- A set of graphic software ( analytical ) has been invented on the visual-studio platform. It can read all the nodes of the treatment in the form of a SVG document to evaluate the feature points that simulate the path of tufting dynamically on the electronic screen and corresponding to each color of the carpet fabric. The NC code was dedicated and developed for an open CNC system to apply. Furthermore, this software has provided the designers a way forward for correct estimation of utilization for many different color dyed yarn.